Summer is usually a time to kick back, relax, and have a little fun. But figuring out how you will manage your sobriety during all of the summer fun can be stressful. The challenge will be even greater if your sobriety is new and you are hanging out with people who are not sober. But with a little planning and choosing destinations and activities that are sober-friendly, you’ll be able to have a sober summer to remember. With the right planning and the right sober living program, you can enjoy some sun and fun and create new vacation memories. At Solution Based Treatment, our treatment team can get you ready to enjoy your summer of sober living.
Summer Activities for Sober Living
If you’re looking for ideas of what kind of activities lend themselves to a sober lifestyle, there are more than you might think. It’s all about being flexible. By choosing the right environment, the right people, and the right activities, there’s no reason you can enjoy your summer without the risk of temptation. You can also look into travel agencies that plan sober trips so that if you want to safely travel with other sober people, you can. Be sure to pick things that make you happy and put you at ease. You might consider:
- Doing some good – this option is especially fitting if you want to make an impact and give back now that you have gotten sober. It’s not necessarily a vacation, but helping others who may not be able to help themselves can be very rewarding.
- Getting sporty – if you’ve always wanted to try your hand at a new sport, then get to it. You don’t need to be highly athletic to take advantage of the summer weather and vacation destinations by getting outside and challenging yourself.
- Taking a spa day – it’s important to get away from the hustle and bustle sometimes. Taking time for yourself at a spa, retreat, or any kind of solo self-improvement is good for the body, mind, and soul.
Tips to Help You Enjoy a Summer of Sobriety
The best advice for planning a sober summer is to have a plan and keep it simple. Don’t make your life more complicated than it already is. Think like a boy scout and be prepared. When you’re invited to summer get-togethers, be honest and ask questions. Family and friends need to understand the importance of your recovery process. Here are a few things to keep in mind as summer sets in:
- Plan for awkward situations; they are going to happen.
- Have a go-to sober summer party date (or two).
- Confidence is key. Saying no to a beer won’t stop you from having fun.
- Reliving summers when you weren’t sober is not constructive. Focus on your sober summer.
- Remember, you can always decline an invitation and stay home.
Have a Plan With SBT This Summer
Not sure where to start? Let our team help you come up with a plan. Whether you need help getting sober or staying sober, our caring and professional treatment team is here for you. Call 833.999.1941 to learn all about our treatment options. Our substance use treatment programs address addiction both clinically and holistically. Our addiction treatment programs and services include:
- Detox programs
- Dual diagnosis treatment
- Intensive outpatient program (IOP)
- Medication-assisted treatment (MAT)
- Partial hospitalization program (PHP)
- Residential treatment
- Rock to Recovery music therapy program
If all else fails, take control and have a sober bbq of your own. You can have peace of mind knowing what to expect and eliminate any triggers and risks to relapse.