Holidays are a time to have a little fun. But if you’re in recovery, figuring out how you will manage your sobriety at the same time can be stressful. But with a bit of planning and the right group of friends, you’ll be able to have a spooky and sober Halloween to remember. It’s all about choosing destinations and activities that are sober-friendly, as well as friends who will support you and can enjoy these experiences alongside you without the risk of temptation.
Our sober living program at Solution Based Treatment helps individuals develop the skills they need to deal with all of life’s struggles, including managing sobriety during a holiday. Learn more from our team today by calling 833.999.1941 or completing our online form.
Sober Halloween Tips
The best advice for planning a sober Halloween is really just to plan ahead and stick to the plan. You don’t have to overthink things. The more complicated you make it, the less fun it will be, and the more pressure you will put on yourself in the long run. If you get invited to a Halloween party, don’t be afraid to ask the host questions, so you know you’ll feel comfortable when you’re there. You want to be supported as a sober attendee. Even if the host is a friend who supports your sobriety, you may want to bring a couple of additional sober friends with you so you won’t be alone and feel tempted to drink.
Additional tips for a successful and sober Halloween include:
- Say no to any invitations you don’t feel comfortable with
- Bring a go-to sober party date
- Know that awkward situations are going to happen, so be prepared
- Be confident – it’s ok to say no if you’re offered a drink
- Focus on your sobriety and not the memories of drunken Halloweens of the past
If you’re looking for ways to enjoy a sober Halloween, there are plenty. There’s no need to reinvent the wheel, but you can adapt traditional Halloween activities to be sober-friendly and get creative. By choosing the right environment, people, and activities, you can have a sober Halloween to remember.
Activities to consider include:
- Surround yourself with kids – This option is a perfect way to remove alcohol from the situation. Help out at a kids costume party or volunteer to give candy out to kids.
- Make it a game day – If the weather permits celebrate in the afternoon with a Halloween-themed friendly soccer or flag football game with friends. Or, make it a game night with friends where snacks are encouraged, but not alcohol.
- Take a trip – if the idea of a Halloween party is too overwhelming, then go somewhere else. Choose a fun destination, and maybe you can watch a Halloween parade from a distance.
- Volunteer – Avoid a typical Halloween altogether and donate your time to your community at a local soup kitchen or homeless shelter. You can still get in the spirit by dressing in costume for the occasion.
- Stay home – If all else fails, take control and make your home a destination for Halloween trick or treaters. You could even host your own sober Halloween-themed bash.
Celebrate a Sober Halloween with Support from Solution Based Treatment
You’ve worked hard for your sobriety, and there’s no reason to put it in jeopardy. Even though most holidays, like Halloween, tend to revolve around consuming alcohol, there are plenty of sober activities you can take part in to celebrate on holidays or any day.
A sober living program like the one at Solution Based Treatment gives you the tools you need to maintain your sobriety after you’ve left treatment, so you can go on with your life and socialize during big “party” holidays like Halloween. Addiction recovery is a lifelong process, and the daily challenges and stresses of life can make recovery hard to maintain. We’re here to help. Learn more from our caring team today by calling 833.999.1941 or completing our online form to learn more about sober living.