Upon completing a treatment program and achieving sobriety, a lot of emotions can come up. It’s thrilling to succeed in conquering addiction, but maintaining a drug-free lifestyle can be harder than people anticipate. Once people have finished a treatment program, they are never “cured” of addiction. It takes daily effort to make healthy decisions, and doing this alone is hard.
That’s why at Solution Based Treatment & Detox, we commit to giving our clients effective relapse prevention therapy. Our team of specialists tailor each client’s relapse prevention plan to their specific addiction and needs. If you or someone you care about is experiencing relapse or at risk of relapse, there’s no need to try to handle it all alone. Call SBT&D today at 833.999.1941, or reach out online.
Helpful Tips for Avoiding Relapse
Taking yourself out of a treatment program and going back to the the “real world” can be overwhelming. Trying to fit back in with colleagues, friends, or family can be tricky, especially if they don’t know about your addiction or treatments you’ve gone through. Taking care to have a plan in place and sticking with it is the most important first step of preventing relapse.
When making a relapse prevention plan, you can make use of these helpful tips:
- Identify the things that trigger your desire to drink or turn to your drug of choice. These may be people, locations, behaviors, memories, etc.
- Decide what you will do when you’re triggered, instead of using drugs or drinking. You may have a different plan for different situations, but do your best to keep it simple.
- Include your close friends and family in knowing what your plan is and how they can support you in it.
- Explore therapies and hobbies that can help, such as meditation, art, or music. See if you can connect with others in your community who share your interests.
- Write down your intentions and your goals, and allow yourself to be patient and flexible when things don’t go as planned.
- Stay connected to your local sober community and participate in alumni programs. Celebrate milestones with others who are staying sober.
When relapse happens, it can feel as though all the hard work you did to quit the first time around was worthless. The fact remains, however, that if you have quit once before, you can do it again. With the help of dedicated professionals, family, and friends, you can get sober and stay sober.
Relapse Prevention Therapy at SBT&D
The truth is that many people who complete rehab programs end up experiencing relapse. Although relapse can be frustrating and disheartening, it’s important to remember that it isn’t the end of the story. You can always learn something from your relapse and try again with better strategies next time.
At Solution Based Treatment & Detox, our team believes that every client has the potential to achieve permanent recovery. We pride ourselves on our commitment to our clients’ sobriety, and when it’s time to return home, we offer the following services to safeguard sobriety:
- A detailed relapse prevention plan, that includes sponsors, therapists, and family members if possible
- Exercises for relapse prevention, which may include activities such as meditation, writing in a journal, calling a sponsor, and more
- Sober living community to give each client solidarity with their peers in recovery
- Outpatient therapies that can give you structure and support while you adjust back to life at home
Our approach to all clients is personal and holistic, so we collaborate with them and their loved ones to form realistic and achievable goals. If relapse happens, you can rely on your team of professionals and sober buddies to cheer you on in regaining sobriety.
Get Consistent Support in Southern California
Staying sober after finishing rehab can be challenging, and especially so if life throws you a curveball. Having consistent and reliable support can make all the difference. Instead of picking up a drink or using substances to calm down, you can call on someone who’s got your back and will help you avoid relapse.
If you or someone you care about is dealing with relapse, don’t wait to reach out to Solution Based Treatment & Detox in Murrieta, California. Our team will be ready to take your call at 833.999.1941, or reply to your message online.